Where Do I Mail My 2019/2020 Federal Tax Return?
If you are one of those who prefer the good old way of filing returns via mail then this guide is for you. Here we have compiled all the links of the correct addresses to file your tax papers depending upon where you reside and the type of return you are filing. Always use the services of a secure and certified mail service and opt for a return receipt so you have a confirmation that your docs and payment have been received by the IRS.
Note: Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the IRS will only process paper tax returns when its centers re-open. This is the reason the IRS is strongly suggesting all taxpayers to file tax electronically.
WHAT IS THE FEDERAL TAX DEADLINE?
- July 15, 2020 – Extended deadline for federal tax return and payment deadline
- October 15, 2020– Federal tax deadline after requesting for an extension
You can more find details about IRS TAX Extension Date 2020 .
Mainling Address To Send USA Tax Return File/ Documents
Send Your Return to the Correct Address
There’s no single IRS address for mailing your tax return. To avoid chaotic deluge there are IRS processing centers located across the country. Where you need to mail your personal return depends on
- Where you live or reside
- Whether your return includes a payment
- If you are expecting a refund
- If you are sending personal tax return / amended return / requesting an extension of time for filing a return
Here’s where to send your IRS returns.
- Write Clearly the Sent To Address and Return Address.
- IRS addresses change periodically, so don’t assume that this year’s 2019 tax return will also go to the same address you’ve sent it the last time.
Zip Codes Search IRS
If you find that the zip codes don’t match up with the similar addresses in the location, please be advised that the IRS has more or less its own zip codes for the ease of sorting mails.
Where To Send IRS Tax Payments ?
Whether You Are Sending a Payment
Your return may include a payment or it can be without payment. Each state has an address for both scenarios. Mails with payments need to be sent to the IRS, and the ones without payments to the Department of the Treasury.
For Other IRS Tax Forms
For filing anything other than the personal tax return such as Form 1040-ES, IRS Form 4868, tax return extension, or an amended return, there are separate addresses so check the IRS page accordingly. or you can get full details Where You Can Get IRS Tax Form both Online or offline mode .
HOW TO MAIL YOUR TAX RETURNS IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE THE U.S.?
Although you can use the U.S. Postal Service, to avoid any possible glitches with international mail it’s better to use private delivery service with Express Delivery, International Priority, Or First Next Flight Out delivery services.
For assessing if the mail is sent on time, IRS accepts the “sent on” date on envelopes forwarded using FedEx, DHL Express or UPS just as it does with mails sent from within the US.
Usually, the international IRS returns are sent to the Austin, Texas service center, the right address to Send an International Tax Return From Outside the US would vary depending on the situation.
Mail Your Tax Return with USPS
You can use the U.S. Post Office Postal Service for mailing your tax return, get a confirmation, and track your post.
MAILING TIPS IRS TAX FORMS
When Is Your Tax Return Filed Considered On Time By The IRS?
- When the Return Is Addressed Correctly
- Bears Sufficient Postage
Most tax returns weigh more than 1 oz due to several pages included. Weigh the envelope and apply the right amount of stamps else it will be returned.
- Meets the Postmarked Deadline
- For a return to be considered on time, it must be postmarked on or before the filing deadline date. If you dropping it at a USPS blue collection box or at a Postal location, ensure that its pickup time is before the filing deadline date.
- If using a registered mail – Postmarked by the due date (Not the day the IRS actually receives the mail)
- If using certified mail – The date stamped on the receipt is the postmark date
Note: Check if your Post Office location has allowed extended hours and late postmarking for tax filers. Many post offices keep open for long hours and offer late postmarking on Tax Day.
CONSIDER DOING IT THE EASY WAY BY FILING ELECTRONICALLY
E-filing tax return is a lot easier and is recommended by the IRS as you can download forms, file a simple return, free through the IRS Free File program assistance if your income is less than $69,000 in the tax year 2019. Upon filing a return, you can also make a payment online using IRS Direct Pay.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) are 2 more free filing programs to e-file the return for qualifying filers.